Topic 1 Issues And Current Educational Challenges
This topic consist of the following subtopics:
- National integration
- Democratization of education
- Pillars of Education (UNESCO)
- Globalisation in education
- Influence of Information Technology and Communication
- Social problems
- Reports and Analysis on National Education Achievement
Issues Vs Challenges
We used to hear about our society are facing increasing cases of issues and challenges at an alarming rate, namely the social issues such as poverty, global warming, racism, Ebola in West Africa and challenges such as understanding culture, responding to climate change, addressing public health issues, etc.
Are the two words referring to the same thing? Not quite, here’s some definitions to clear our doubt:
- “something that people are talking about, thinking about, etc. : an important subject or topic” — Merriam-Webster Dictionary online
- “a matter that is in dispute between two or more parties” — Merriam-Webster Dictionary online
- An important topic or problem for debate or discussion:” – Oxford Dictionary Online
- “(issues) Personal problems or difficulties” and/or “Problems or difficulties, especially with a service or facility” – Oxford Dictionary Online
- “a subject or problem that people are thinking and talking about: environmental/ethical/personal issues” – Cambridge Dictionary Online
- “the situation of being faced with) something that needs great mental or physical effort in order to be done successfully and therefore tests a person’s ability” – Cambridge Dictionary Online
- “to demand as due or deserved” – Merriam-Webster Dictionary Online
- “COUNTABLE/UNCOUNTABLE] something that needs a lot of skill, energy, and determination to deal with or achieve, especially something you have never done before and will enjoy doing”. – MacMillian Dictionary Online
As we may conclude, issues refers to an important topic or problem that poses difficulties to people and provoke disputes on its causes and solution. Challenges will be the task or duties that demands a great deal of skill, energy, determination to deal with the problem/task, etc.
So, as teachers or educators, what could be the current issues and challenges that demand our attention, skills and effort to solve certain social-economical issues for the society at large?
What are expected from the students in the 21st century:
Billisim Teknolojileri. (2013). 21st Century Skills.
This is what we expect the educational system should be:
AITSL (2012). 21st century education.
This is what happened in most schools:
Matt Babiaz. (2012). Global Education Challenge – Issues.