This is a three credit-unit course. The interaction hours will be:
- Lecture – 30 hours
- Tutorial – 15 hours
Performance of students in this course is determined through two (2) forms of assessment, that are course work (50%) and written examination (50%). Examination questions are constructed by lecturers teaching the course within the time frame given. Centralised examination is administered at the end of the semester. Examination questions comprise of structured and extended essays.
This course encompasses socio-cultural concepts and aspects of various ethnic groups in Malaysia; implications of different multicultural aspects; culture friendly classroom environment; communication skills; multicultural relationship skills and issues pertaining to multicultural environment.
Course Learning Objectives:
- Explain concepts of culture and ethnic groups in Malaysia.
- Explain concept of inequality in educational opportunities.
- Analyze various socio-cultural aspects and its implication towards teaching and learning.
- Create a culturally friendly teaching-learning environment plan in the classroom.
- Discuss steps to handle multicultural and multilingual issues in the classroom.
Students will be able to :
- Understand Culture and Learning course
- Synthesise various sociocultural aspects and their implications on teaching and learning process.