IN 1974, The Cabinet Committee chaired by Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad was formed to review the national education system. MOE (2012) had shortlisted the following features of the Cabinet Committee Report 1979 as the following:
- Emphasis on basic education in the 3Rs, reading, writing and arithmetic
- Emphasis on a strong spiritual education and the desired disciplinary elements
- Emphasis on a Malaysian oriented curriculum
- Upper secondary education offers two streams, academic and vocational
- Opportunity to extend schooling from 9 to 11 years
- Streamlining the education management procedure to improve the overall quality of education.
<<Previous topic- T2 Branches of philosophy | T3 Development of education in Malaysia: Pre-independence: | Post-independence: Razak Report | Rahman Talib Report | Education Act 1961 | Aminuddin Baki Report 1964 | Cabinet Committee Report | Education Act 1996 | Education Development Master Plan 2001-2010 | Educational Development Master Plan (PIPP) 2006-2010 | Current education | Next topic – T4 Philosophy of education in Malaysia >>